CONFERENCE VENUE

EPICS VI will be held at the Faculty of Philology of the University of Seville. The Faculty of Philology is located in the city centre, in Palos de la Frontera St., in the building known as the old Royal Tobacco Factory.

Universidad_de_Sevilla_(rectorado)_001

See the location of the Faculty of Philology on a map here.

The old Royal Tobacco Factory is an enormous building, which can be very easily recognised. It is beside the famous and well-known Alfonso XIII Hotel and the crossroads known asPasarela. Although the building has three gates – one in San Fernando St., another in Doña María de Padilla St. and another in Palos de la Frontera St., which is the entrance to the Faculty of Philology – several corridors go through its interior and connect its different areas.

See a photo gallery of the conference venue here.

Rooms for presentations and plenary lectures will be announced here once the conference programme is ready.

Since the middle of the 20th century, the old Royal Tobacco Factory hosts the Rectorate of the University of Seville and also the Faculties of Philology and Geography and History. The old Royal Tobacco Factory is an industrial building dating back to the 18th century. It is one of the largest industrial buildings in Spain and one of the oldest in its type in Europe. It was designed by Spanish and Dutch military architects Ignacio Sala, Diego Bordick Deverez and Sebastian van der Borcht. Its construction started in 1728 and the building was opened in 1758, although it was not completed until 1770. In architectural terms, the outward aspect of the building is Renaissance style, although the main entrance and façade were finished in Barroque style. Initially, the Royal Tobacco Factory was located at the outskirts of the city, in a strategic area by River Guadalquivir.

After the construction of a new and more modern tobacco factory on the other side of River Guadalquivir, the building was given to the University of Seville in 1950, which had to remodel it between 1954 and 1956 in order to adapt it for its headquarters and some of its Faculties. The architects commissioned with the works were Balbotín de Orta, Delgado Roig and Toro Buiza. When the works finished, the building hosted the Faculties of Science, Law and Humanities and the University’s Rectorate. Nowadays, it only hosts the Faculties of Philology and Geography and History, although the University intends to remodel it again so that it can also host the Faculty of Philosophy, thus creating a campus for the Humanities